Last week I was fortunate enough to facilitate a 2-day workshop at the Second National ITL Masterclass in Adelaide. It was quite an interesting concept with delegates splitting into cohorts and working over two days on a theme, developing a PLN, creating resources plus a final product to showcase, almost an intensive, project-based form of contemporary adult learning.
My workshop was called 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' (Everton's motto :) meaning 'nothing but the best is good enough'. Below is my prezi plus an outline of what we did.
Using the stimulus material in the prezi we:
- discussed the end product and how to get there (kind of backwards by design)
- outlined the technologies we would use (as a means to an end, not tech 101)
- discussed the 'Moral Imperative' of teaching using Fullan and Hargreaves as stimuli
- looked at crowdsourcing as a means to collaborate, share and draw on the qualities of the collective (excellent contemporary adult learning!) using Google Docs (see below)
- brainstormed what a great teacher looks like using Wallwisher
- looked at Ethics - leading by example using Creative Commons
- brainstormed what great eLearning looks like using Popplet (Fullan again)
- discussed what great PD looks like and modelled a mini-TeachMeet
- brainstormed what poor teaching and eLearning look like using tools of choice
- modelled staff meeting activity to engage whole staff in difficult conversations using Google Forms
- discussed what poor PD looks like and hence the need for empathy, meaning and proactivity rather than stick (or carrot...)
- developed resources as a PLC:
- crowdsourced ideas in Google Presentation (see below)
- Google Site of resources and PLC
- YouTube video (see below) (quite funny in parts and unflattering in others...)
- collective wiki
Overall it was a great event, the highlight of which was meeting and working with so many great teachers and adding to my PLN, not least @neptunet, @eddyednedted (best of luck with TeachMeet Darwin John!), @skye_myers, @rach_y, @michellepayne55, @helenbull (excellent video Helen!), @rvkent, @miroepps (awesome dance moves Miro!), @HejkaC, @GAPC, @kwindsor02 (get me to KI!) @SeeMyBus, @pupcallery (nice win Alex!), @jessicaefrost, @JenNeish, @wjwhittle, @paul_h_taylor, @brightwaterss, @pars0, @kpetz, @Shadow80aus (great site Simon!) and @bernieos1967 - Cohort 1 rock! It was also great to catch up with the other great facilitators @mrpbps, @LibHowe, @grahamwegner@jjash and @loisath.